Sunday 23 November 2014

Little Uni Posts: The Build Up To Leaving Home & Moving In Day

Even though I moved away from home and to university around 2 months ago, I thought now is the time where I can put together some posts to display on my blog about university life. This is purely because I have experienced a handful of things since being here, and I thought I could document some university ongoings here on my blog every now and then. What do you think?

So the week building up to moving in day was absolutely terrifying. I'm not going to lie about how I was feeling because at heart I am a home bird, and I love to be surrounded by my family and spend the majority of my time in their presence. So when my mum dragged the box full of kitchen essentials through to my room to start packing away, I did have a little sob at the thought that I wasn't going to see her everyday, and we weren't going to be a part of each others lives everyday like we used to be. Then, my nan surprised me with a bathroom hamper full of cute little things for my bathroom, along with towels, bleach, shampoo & conditioner and other necessities and then I thought "wow, I really am growing up."

So Saturday 20th September came around very very quickly and me, my mum, my nan and my brother all hopped into the jam packed car full of all of my belongings and set off to move to Manchester. The whole journey I felt so ill, because I had thoughts about the people I was going to be living with for the next year, if they were going to like me and what they were generally like as people. Mum kept on crying and my brother kept asking the most random questions but eventually we arrived at my halls and it was time to unpack. 

When I went to the reception area to pick up my keys, my aunty jokingly said to me "I would laugh if you were on the top floor with all of them stairs", and I just brushed off her little comment. Later did I find out I was on the top floor and the stairs were an absolute nightmare to keep on walking up and down to drag all of my stuff into the flat. That day I noticed how unfit I really am! But alas, I got everything set up, tried to work the internet, nearly broke the wardrobe door and then had to say goodbye to everyone. I knew I would have to do this at some point, but I just kept on brushing this off and when it came to face it I 100% was not prepared. My mum and nan were sobbing and my brother looked lost. I have never seen them look like that before, and top tip for you here guys- just hug it all out. I found that hugs bring everything to the surface and tears explode, and that weight that was sitting on your shoulders comes off and you know everything is going to be OK. When they eventually peeled themselves away from me, I didn't know what to do with myself. I sat in my bedroom with the door open eating cashew nuts, and then this little head popped around the door and said 'hi!'. This is Ali and she is the first person I met when I came to uni. We got out the vodka, and then the rest of the night was completely entertaining.

So there is my first little uni post, and there definitely will be more to follow!
Have any of you gone to uni this September? How are you finding it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment