Monday 30 June 2014

Depression | Let's Get Through Together

I have been considering putting this post up for a while, because I know that to some it is a delicate subject which some people do not like to discuss often. But when I needed it most, I wish that I could have stumbled upon something like this to read and take my mind of the things which were bothering me. I have taken inspiration from DippyWrites, as she uploaded a depression post which you can find HERE. Like her, I would like to make regular posts on depression, as I feel as though it is important to acknowledge as it is an illness which people often hide and feel ashamed of.  

You know when you get that feeling where you feel as though you're alone in a particular situation? You really are not. I have been feeling like this for a few years now, but I have now realised that I am no longer alone and there are plenty of other people who are in the same boat as I am, and that we can all help each other.

For the past 5 years I have been battling depression. It hasn't been a nice journey and believe me, there has been some high roads and low roads, but for the past few months I have been feeling a lot better. I want to get the message through to all of you that are in the same boat as I am, that things do get better. It may not seem it at the time, are when you're all alone, but it truly does. I never thought that I had anything to live for or anything to look forward in my life because of the way I felt, but then I put it into one huge perspective and realised that I have a heck of a lot of things that I wanted to take part in and keep as memories. 

Image source HERE

There are many treatments out there which are available to all ages to help battle depression. Over the past 5 years I have received quite a few counselling sessions provided by many different counsellors and CBT. Even though I don't believe that these worked (because I didn't like the way that the sessions drained me, and I dreaded attending each sessions) I never thought that I would opt for anti-depressants. I did in the end, and I have been on them for a while. I haven't sought counselling again because I don't feel as though they are useful- but for others it may be the making of them. I guess you just have to find something which suits yourself, and helps you through the struggle you're in. 

I have experienced events which triggered my depression, but because they are so personal I do not wish to disclose this as of yet. Maybe in the future, as again, I do feel as though telling my stories may help others. 

I just wanted to say that if you're not feeling yourself, and haven't done for a while then do make an appointment with your doctor, and get the help you deserve as soon as possible. I am also always up for a chat if you would like to send me an email, and I would like you to know that you're not alone and there is always someone beside you no matter what. Even if you do not think that there is. I do check my emails all of the time so your email will not go unnoticed!

Jess
x



No comments:

Post a Comment